Thursday, July 4, 2013

Starting 3rd Week--Arrival in Telaviv

So strange, I joke that in NYC Thursday is the new Friday, but in Israel that is the truth. Attendance for classes today was down a little and people arrived for the day with suitcases, anticipating a quick retreat after the last class. We stuck it out to the end since one of my favorite teachers here was doing the Parsha Hashavuat (discussion of the weekly Torah reading). As committed as I am to "learning" I had a hard time lasting until 5:30 as I was thinking about our trip to Telaviv and a short weekend by the Mediterranean Sea.

Although our inclination was to go to the Central Bus Station and get a bus for TA, Marisa James suggested that we take a "sherut" or van since it was only a little more expensive than the bus, and more comfortable and more convenient to find. So after a small meal which was not really so small we found the van stop, got on and drove quickly to TA and were dropped off at the TA Central Bus Station. Unfortunately the taxi driver took advantage of us and charged us too much, which we knew but could not really do anything about it after we got into the cab.

We are now in a suite overlooking the sea with a balcony as large as a room. Hotel is nice, very nice but the neighborhood is rather run down. It is busy so walking around did not feel dangerous to me.

Tomorrow I will try to visit family from my maternal grandmother's side.

No comments:

Post a Comment