Sunday, July 21, 2013

Observations by Bennet A. McConaughy of the Multi-faith program at the Yeshiva





I’m going to talk a little bit this morning both about Rabbinic Texts and the Multi-faith experience. As a non-Hebrew speaking Christian, I came to Conservative Yeshiva both with excitement and trepidation. I was so enthused to be here to study a rich faith tradition that I didn’t know enough about. At the same time, I wasn’t sure how a multi-faith program would work with a purely Jewish curriculum within a Jewish institution in Jerusalem. My concerns turned to panic when I was handed a piece of Mishna in Hebrew in Rabbinic Texts the first day – “How will I ever read this, let alone think about it?” I was bewildered as we began delving into the brakah on food – “What is all this stuff about hierarchies and classifications?” I knew nothing about what everyone else in the class seemed to take for granted. Fortunately my classmates were patient, gracious, and helpful to me in catching my footing, which, as I now understand, is part of the Yeshiva experience.

I expected the Mishna to be a comprehensive and detailed compendium of rules. I learned instead to view it as a pedagogical tool, one edited and framed to encourage questions, arguments and reflection. And it was a tool intended to be engaged collectively. The opportunity to learn with a partner was a big draw of this program for me. It often felt like a three-some or four-some or five-some at the table: the two partners, the text, our life experience, but especially the presence of G-d. What I experienced as divine presence led to insights, and questions, and sidetracks – but always came back to a welcoming of the search and challenge.

I learned that structure of learning – of both assisting and challenging each other’s beliefs – is inherent in the Rabbinic Texts themselves. The canonization of argument speaks to a faith tradition that continually engages with and plays out what it means to live into Holy Mystery in the practicality of life. To preserve and validate argument and dissent is to recognize the dignity of the individual human soul. It reflects humility and an encouragement for us to grow, challenge, reflect and understand. That conversation continues over generations and change in our practices and understanding. It is a rich conversation – one I was able to join and become a part of by coming here.
I appreciate your openness in welcoming non-Jewish students to the Yeshiva. In our Multi-faith group, we asked some serious questions:
·         What do we see in other faith traditions that appeals to or confuses us?
·         What about boundaries -- How do we engage with the things that speak to us, while at the same time holding true to our own tradition?
·         How will others see that tension, and, when it plays out publically, is it confusing or offensive or ambiguous or heartening?
·         How is our understanding of our own tradition enriched by learning more about other traditions?

We didn’t have answers to those questions, but we did sense that we best engage with each other when we listen with respect and genuine curiosity to our respective stories and traditions.
Respect and genuine curiosity – sounds like the Yeshiva to me. The Yeshiva was a safe place to explore those issues, both within the context of our multi-faith group but also within the general classes. I received an embarrassment of riches in here in terms of learning about Jewish texts, thought, and tradition. I came away with a deeper appreciation of Judaism and its implications for its followers. I hope that in some respect I offered stories and insights that may have shared part of my own story and tradition.  
But it is more than learning about Judaism. At one point in one of our classes, Rabbi Joel referred to the blessing that one says on seeing a group of people. It goes like this [and pardon my pronunciation]:
Barukh Ata Adonai, Eloheynu Melekh ha'Olam cha'kham ha'razim.
A loose translation of that is: Holy One of blessing, Your presence fills creation, You are the wise one of secrets.

This blessing recognizes and gives thanks to G-d for the diversity and uniqueness of each person we encounter. I was inspired and touched by this vision of humanity as interconnected and yet diverse. I look out at all of you and who you are – your smiles, insights, questions, wisdom, and stories – and radically connect with the vision of the blessing. The Holy One – the Wise One of Secrets – surely blessed me by bringing me into this place amidst all of you. For that and for each of you, my heart is glad.  



No comments:

Post a Comment